Welcome to my creative space!
Spring is just around the corner. I'm looking forward to beautiful butterflies fluttering across our property, so I was inspired to created a grungy layered butterfly card to share with you featuring the fabulous Amazing Paper Grace Fluted Classics Squares die set (S4-1151). These fluted edges look so fabulous with grungy creations that I just couldn't help creating another one with this collection! The medium die in this set pairs perfectly with this base and medallion from the Scalloped Symphony Notecard set (S6-177). The layers include a painted metal butterfly, resin machine cog, and chipboard ironwork piece atop the die cut medallion and fluted background. Be sure to scroll down for close-ups and more details.
Tips and Techniques
When I think of Becca's Amazing Paper Grace designs, I think elegant and sweet, but you can see how perfectly these die sets can also work with my grungy mixed media style as well. The medallion and base are cut from kraft cardstock and the scrolled medallion is brushed with aged brass and copper art wax to give it a metallic shimmer.
Just look at the amazing detail in these scalloped and fluted edges, and this medallion is perfect to alter for a metallic layer. A couple baubles are added to accent the coppery color. I thought this sentiment from the Tim Holtz Small Talk set popped up on foam tape was perfect for this card.
Here you can see the beautiful interplay of the layers. Over the die cut medallion is an ironwork chipboard shape that I painted with shimmery mica filled paint, then atop that is a resin machine cog that's painted with impasto paints, then rubbed with brass and copper art wax to highlight the textures and details. Then the feature piece is this gorgeous metal butterfly that I painted with liquid acrylics. I realized after putting everything together that the butterfly got a little lost above the green ironwork piece which was similar in color. That was an easy fix by highlighting the wing edges with a bit more of the metallic art wax to give a nice contrast. Those details really can make a difference.
Here's one final view. Don't you just adore this mix of beautiful die cut layers and grungy painted pieces?
Amazing Paper Grace Die Sets:
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology: Wallflower
- Cardstock ~ Kraft
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Impasto Paint: Burlap; Victorian Green; Lemon Peel
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Liquid Acrylic: Avocado Green; Burnt Sienna; Tiger Orange; Emerald
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Metallique Wax: Rich Copper; Aged Brass
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Sparks Acrylic Paint: Green Goblin
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Mould - Cogs and Wings
- Amazing Casting Resin ~ White
- Liquitex ~ Gesso, White
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Mechanicals - Grungy Butterflies
- Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Melange Art Pebbles - Vintage
- Blue Fern Studios ~ Chipboard: Ironwork Accents
- Double Sided Tape ~ 1/4"
- Beacon ~ 3-IN-1 Advanced Craft Glue
- Beacon ~ Fabri-Tac
- Tombo ~ Mono MULTI Liquid Glue
- Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L ~ Crafty Foam Tape - Black
- Spellbinders ~ Platinum 6
Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.
~ Blessings ~