Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Listen to Your Heart Birthday Card featuring Helmar and Leaky Shed Studio

We have a birthday to celebrate nearly every month of the year, and I enjoy creating personalized cards to help celebrate these special days. I've created this shabby chic card for my sister featuring Helmar Premium Craft Glue and Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard.

Listen to Your Heart

Tips and Techniques
My favorite adhesive for adhering paper to paper is Helmar Premium Craft Glue. I simply apply a bead of glue around the edge and swirl some in the center as shown. Turn the paper over and rub your fingers gently over the page to spread out the adhesive. When applying, you won't want to get too close to the edges to allow room for it to spread out. 

One of the advantages of using Helmar Premium Craft Glue is that you have a some time to adjust your paper and get it placed exactly where you want it. Because of the high solids content it will not warp your papers.

Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive is perfect for adhering chipboard, flowers, and ribbon. I wanted to add a little color to my flowers to coordinate them with my papers, so I used a paint brush to apply Distress Inks in coordinating colors. I used the same technique to add color to the bow.

I spritzed seam binding with water and scrunched to achieve this lovely texture, then when dry tied a double loop bow and brushed with Distress ink. Helmar Fabric Glue holds my bow in place as well as the scrunched ends. I adore how it holds even delicate ribbon in place without bleeding through. 

I heat embossed Fran-tage Embossing Enamel on Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard and used Donna Salazar Mix'd Media Inx and Embossing powder for my sentiment and flourish. It can be difficult to adhere mixed media elements together like these layered chipboard pieces, however, Helmar 450 is strong enough for this job.

I stamped and embossed my sentiment before distressing the layers, then adhered my layers to the card base using Helmar Premium Craft Glue. This Leaky Shed Victorian Oval Frame was the perfect proportion for the printed sentiment and was adhered with Helmar 450 Quick Dry Glue.

Leaving you with one final shot.

Helmar Products
Helmar Premium Craft Glue
Helmar 450 Quick Dry Glue
Helmar Fabric Glue

Leaky Shed Studio Products
French Oval Frame Chipboard
Victorian Oval Frame Chipboard

Other Products
BoBunny ~ The Avenues paper collection
Wild Orchid Crafts ~ 25mm Cottage Rose in Mixed Pink and Mixed White/Cream; 15mm Open Roses ~ Deep Ivory
Pebbles ~ Jewel Flower Brads - Happy-Go-Lucky
Prima Serenade ~ White
Darice ~ Ivory Berry Sprig
1/2" Seam Binding - Cream
Lace ~ my stash
Stampers Anonymous - Tim Holtz Clear Stamps ~ French Connection; Urban Grunge
Stampabilities ~ May Your Birthday Be Filled . . .
Donna Salazar for Clearsnap ~ Mixed Media Inx ~ Indigo, Honey
Donna Salazar for Clearsnap ~ Mixed Media Inx Embossing Powder ~ Honey
Ranger ~ Embossing Powder - Clear
Ranger ~ Perfect Medium
Fran-tage Embossing Enamel ~ Aged Ivory, Aged Spice
Ranger ~ Distress Ink - Tattered Rose, Dried Marigold
Donna Salazar for Zutter ~ Distrezz-it-All
Darice ~ Heat Tool
Tim Holtz ~ Grid Blocks

I hope you'll stop by the Helmar Blog and leave a sweet comment there.

~ Blessings ~

25 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! LOOOOVE the colours & the layers & the sentiment, too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so gorgeous card, really love it.. and I do use that glue too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful!! LOVING the colors and the flowers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You put so much into your cards...and they are so beautiful that I am sure they become very precious keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning crd, I love the distressed layers. The ornate frame is gorgeous and I love the enamelling. Love the cluster of flowers too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Tracy!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you and so great to hear from your, Alison!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

      Delete
  7. Oh, so very pretty, Tracey! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A totally stunning card Tracey. Love the softness of the colours and the fab distressing. Have to say I love Helmar too. I use their glue on everything!! Beautifull done!! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Margaret!! Yes, I was a huge fan of using Helmar before making their DT!! :-) ~ Blessings, Tracey

      Delete
  9. totally captivating treasures , love x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sis is going to be thrilled with that Fabulous card Tracey! The color, beautiful frame and distressing really looks to gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a gorgeous card, Tracey! I must admit that I've not had an opportunity to try Helmar's but I think you've made a believer out of met!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandi!! I really do prefer Helmar Adhesives. You can find them at Hobby Lobby in the US. ~ Blessings

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.