Sunday, February 2, 2014

Anglers Mixed Media Layout ~ DT for the February Once Upon A...Sketch Challenge

It's the first of the month and that means a new challenge is up at Once Upon A...Sketch. Nadia's journaling theme this month is "Totally Addicted to . . ." I decided to take a little twist on this and scrap about our son's passion of fishing. He may not be addicted, but he sure enjoys it a lot. 

Here's my take on the February OUAS Challenge.

Anglers


Journaling Theme ~ "Totally Addicted to . . ."

You are free to interpret out theme any way you like, but please make sure your layout is based on the sketch below and includes some journaling (hidden journaling is fine ~ please tell us where it is located).


Tips and Techniques
 Some of my elements like this burlap butterfly and fish netting are dry brushed with gesso to soften them. The frame is simply looped bamboo twine.

Now some close-ups showing the flowers and other elements layered around my photo.
I've tucked in real chicken wire here gifted to me by my sweet friend, Mandy. Yes, this wire has natural patina from being used for an actual coop!!

I've added texture to this gorgeous 7 Dot's Studio - 9th Wave paper by stenciling with molding paste using the Prima Netting Stencil, then added mist, dripping and stamping.

This smaller flower was quite green compared to the rest of my elements so dry brushing it with gesso then a spritz with blue glimmer mist altered it to just the right color. I enjoy perusing my stash and altering what I have to fit my project at hand. The white webbing under the photo was a scrap of black left over from a previous project that I painted with white gesso. 

I've painted and tucked in lots of fun stuff goodies around and under my photo like punchinella, and abaca woven ribbon along with this chipboard from Blue Fern Studio. I created the twine flower, and my tutorial for these flowers can be found here.

I have included additional journaling on the back of my layout:

"Joseph, I enjoy seeing your passion for the sport of fishing and how you enjoy sharing your wealth of knowledge with others who are getting started. Abby loves to fish with you and considers you her fishing hero.

As I see how much you enjoy angling, I'm so grateful that your dad put aside his golf clubs and bought that bass boat when you decided that fishing was your thing. I know you both treasure those many days out on the lake together. 

Although you have become a fisher of men as a pastor, your enjoyment of angling has not waned. How wonderful that you've found a wife who supports your passion and was delighted to say yes when you asked her to spend your lives together on a starlit night out on the lake in your humble bass boat."


Product List
7 Dot's Studio ~ 9th Wave - Sea Foam, Wavy Ocean
Blue Fern Studios ~ Ornate Medallions
Pink Paislee ~ Hope Chest - Burlap Butterflies
Manor House Creations ~ Winter's Song - Log Cabin
Petaloo ~ Beaded Peony - Aqua Blue
Explorer ~ Circle Trinkets
BoBunny ~ Trinkets - Snowfall
May Arts ~ Webbing, Blace (Really Reasonable Ribbon)
Hemptique Bamboo Cord - Natural (Really Reasonable Ribbon)
Stash - Fishnet, Black Grid Mesh, Punchinella, Chicken Wire, Woven Abaca Ribbon
Tattered Angel Glimmer Mist ~ Cork, Moonlight
Heidi Swapp Color Shine ~ Teal
Donna Salazar for Clearsnap ~ Mix'd Media Inx - Stormy, Pewter
Ranger ~ Distress Ink - Evergreen Bough
Liquitex ~ Gesso
Golden ~ Light Molding Paste
Pigma ~ Micron - 05 Black
Heartfelt Creations ~ Large Elegant Word Background
Stampers Anonymous ~ Tim Holtz Clear Stamps - Purely Random, Nature's Elements
BoBunny ~ Clear Stamp - Et Cetera
Glitz ~ Clear Stamp - Distressing P2243
Prima ~ Stencil - Netting 960537
Helmar ~ 450 Quick Dry Glue
Helmar ~ Premium Craft Glue
Helmar ~ Zapdots, 1/2" Square - White
Darice ~ Heat Tool

For all the February OUAS Challenge details and to enter your project,
stop by the OUAS Blog.

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

16 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! LOVING the colors, the mesh material and the flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you did for the reveal, I think 9th wave never become boring. Beautiful page!! Have a nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww....loove your journaling! And that butterfly looks wonderful....most of all it's the textures here that just really make it THE most awesome page:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful page Tracey. Love the color, mesh and all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous page, love the texture and layers!!! the pic jumps off the page!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Tracey, I love the netting and the flowers and colors and I am sure he enjoys his fishing, it is a great relaxing pastime I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Tracey!! I love the netting and chicken wire with the fishing theme! The colors and all the embellies look so wonderful with the pic! You always do the most amazing LOs Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous page, all the flowers and butterflies look amazing :) great take on challenge,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous LO, Tracey! Love the colors and all of the texture. Great details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this lo Tracey! How nice that your son shares his love for fishing with others :) It's a wonderful thing to teach others about what brings you joy.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tracey! I saw this over at sb.com, but just had to stop by your blog to let you know how much I love it! Your entire layout is absolutely wonderful in so many ways. I want to thank you for sharing it with all of us, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic page Tracey!! Awesome that you used real chicken wire and i also love that bit of what looks like fishing net in the bottom right hand corner. Looks fantastic. Love the colour and the texture and the journaling too is wonderful!! All in all a stunning page!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your creations never cease to amaze me, Tracey. This is so, so beautiful. And real chicken wire! That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a beautiful take on this month's sketch at OUAS! I especially love that butterfly it looks AMAZING! Such a cool picture and beautifully captured amongst the design elements

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Tracey! What a stunning layout! Love all the texture and beautiful blossoms! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.