Monday, July 15, 2013

Beautiful Bride ~ Details for ScrapThat!

I hope you are having a lovely and fun summer, staying cool as the hot July weather settles in. This page may look familiar since it is one of my pages created with the July ScrapThat! Kit. Today, I'd like to share some close-ups and technique details. 

I'm enjoying creating wedding layouts. This page features one of Elizabeth's favorite photos taken on her wedding day. 

"Beautiful Bride"
MK, EAO, FAO

Tips and Techniques: 
Background ~ I white washed the kit paper by thinning down some gesso with water and brushing it across the page. I then added paint rings, grid stamps and paint splatter.

Altered Doily ~ Don't let color prevent you from using that embellishment in your stash that is the perfect size and shape, but all the wrong color. The heart doily (from my stash) tucked behind the photo started out a bright, dark pink. It took several coats of white gesso to tame it down.

Border Punch ~ Instead of punching the edge of my paper, I punched a scrap, and placed it at the border. 


Altered Prima Flowers ~ I wanted to go with a light and airy feel on this page, so transformed the darker FAO Prima fowers. First, I applied texture paste to the two sets of outer leaves, then painted the entire flower with gesso. Some I misted lightly with a minty green color spray and others I rubbed with Pewter Mixed Media Inx by Donna Salazar. I also removed and reused some of the centers, replacing them with the charming Maya Road resin roses from the EAO Kit. 

Whitewashed Butterflies ~  I brushed the EAO Kit Pink Paislee Canvas Butterflies with watered down gesso to keep them light and airy.  

I added a key from Craftpon.com which was painted and distressed and Dusty Attic chipboard from my stash topped with pearl medium. The alpha is from a previous ScrapThat! kit.

Tulle Picks ~ I cut out rectangles of MK tulle, folded them in half lengthwise, then pinched and gathered the folded edge with my fingers. I wrapped the pinched edge and wrapped it with craft wire. I then tucked them into my clusters for a subtle reference to the beautiful veil in the photo.

Whitewashed Leaves ~ I simply brushed watered down gesso onto the MK leaves. This lightened them, but still left some of the green showing through.

Puffy Hearts ~ To enhance the love theme, I used Martha Stewart White texture effects with Donna Salazar's new Want2Scrap Heart Stencil to add to the mixed media background.

This Prima flower from the FAO kit and MK cherry blossom took the mixed media treatment so beautifully! The leaf is a sweet trinket from the Craftpon.com Etsy store. Craftpon also has a companion Etsy Shop ~ Stamcow.com which sells cute little rubber stamps.

This gorgeous July Kit and add-ons are now available for purchase by nonsubscribers in our ScrapThat! Store

Follow on Bloglovin

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow Tracey, this is just so so beautiful and I love the monochromatic tones.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously gorgeous Tracey! I love the whitewashed look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wowwwwwwwwwwwwww! This is gorgeous!! LOVING that beautiful photo and loveeeeeeee all the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey this is simply amazing! I love your layout and the photo of Elizabeth is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, another gorgeous layout! This is an absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Tracey, this is absolutely stunning!! The flowers are so awesome!! What a beautiful picture and you designed around it perfectly!! This is gorgeous!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this is just delightful :) love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your layout is beautiful. I love all the details.

    Hugs,
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just gorgeous Tracey....love the colour tones and the beautiful flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning page...love how you altered the flowers with gesso and colouring...they look fabulous! Super page all round...so elegant and soft! Beautifully done! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOOOVE this...new fave & I totally understand why this is your DDs fave photo.....the whitewashed look is perfect for this page & those textured roses are lovely:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooo stunning photo showcased in this beautiful elegant layout.. really lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.