Thursday, July 18, 2013

Men in Black 2 with Grungy Corrugated Leaf Tutorial ~ July GDT for Donna Salazar

I'm thrilled to be sharing another project for Donna Salazar. I enjoy getting inky and inventive with Donna's amazing products. I had so much fun coming up with some new techniques to share with you today including a tutorial for my Grungy Corrugated Leaves.

Andrew and his groomsmen posed for this shot looking quite serious and dare I say intimidating? To capture that feel, I decided to go dark and grungy with this non-traditional wedding layout. One of the things I so appreciate about Donna's paper is the versatility within each collection. The papers featured on this page are from her GCD Natural Beauty Collection, the same collection used for "The Kiss", a sweeter and more elegant page posted here earlier this month.

I would like to dedicate this page to the memory of Earl Hennis, who's vintage gears and machined pieces are tucked in among the Sprightly Sprockets. His granddaughter and my dear friend, Mandy, gave me these precious pieces that had been part of his workshop collection.

"Men in Black"

I used Donna's Sprightly Sprockets die set by Spellbinders to create these realistic metallic gears using black cardstock and Viva Inka Gold. I made lots to tuck in all around this page. If you have guys in your life, these dies are a must have. 

Here's a close-up of the other side of the photo.


Now for these grungy guy flowers. Can you guess what dies I used to cut these flowers? If you picked Sprightly Sprockets, you are correct! I placed a vintage gear and hex nut in each for my flower centers. Scroll down to find my tutorial for the Grungy Corrugated Leaves. 

I used mixed media and Donna's Want2Scrap Stencils to build a grungy background on this wonderful wood grain paper. I started by spreading ceramic stucco across the page leaving the edges clear to see the gorgeous wood grain on the edges. I then misted with Donna's Clearsnap Smooch Spritz in Wood Stain and touches of Pralines and Cream. Once dry, I splattered with black gesso. I mixed black and red paint into more of the ceramic stucco and used it with Donna's 8" x 10" Small Bricks stencil. Such a perfect accent to reflect the bricks behind the guys in the photo. 

These gears are perfect to tuck into layers and well, just everywhere on my page. 

Oh did I have fun grunging up Donna's GCD Studio's Natural Beauty Chipboard Alpha letters for my title. I used my heat tool to melt black tulle onto the letters and inked the edges with Midnight Mix'd Media CHOX Inx by Clearsnap. I used Donna's Want2Scrap Alphabet Stencil and blended fiber medium to create the smaller letters. Another of her Want2Scrap stencils, Small Arrows, was used along the top and bottom of the page with ceramic stucco. I rubbed on just a bit of Midnight CHOX Inx to add grungy texture to the arrows. The distressed edges were achieved with my go to DSD Zutter Distrezz-It-All.

This charm and wrapped cord are jewelry findings from my stash. I dabbed them with Midnight CHOX Inx and Grecian Gold Rub'n Buff to distress. Behind the cord, I rubbed Sparrow CHOX Inx into the background and behind the charm, dripped Donna's Wood Stain and Pralines and Cream Smooch Spritz. Have you wondered what I used to adhere my elements to the mixed media background? My favorite go to adhesive is Helmar 450. It is quick drying and really holds even heavy objects in place. 

Grungy Corrugated Leaf Tutorial

I have to say, Donna's Corrugated Board is one of my favorite products. What a treat not to spend time peeling the top off of cardboard, and it can be used for so many embellishments. 

Supplies:
Supply List:
DSD Want2Scrap 8" x 10" Corrugated Board
DSD Spellbinders Bitty Blossoms Dies
DSD Clearsnap Mix'd Media Inx CHOX - Midnight
Rub'n Buff - Grecian Gold
Die Cut Machine (not pictured)
Optional - misting bottle (not pictured)

Step 1. Cut a piece of corrugated board to size for your leaf die with the lines running the length of the leaf.

Step 2. Mist the piece of corrugated board with water front and back. Push on the dampened cardboard to scrunch and distress. 

Step 3. Use a Bitty Blossoms leaf die and your die cutting machine to cut out your leaf. You may need to run the die through your die cutting machine several times to cut cleanly through the corrugated board. Remove from die and set aside to dry. Although I only show one leaf here in the tutorial, I used all four leaf dies from this set to cut leaves for my page. You could also use leaf dies from Donna's Grand Peony or Rose Creations die sets. 

Step 4. Rub with Midnight CHOX Inx, leaving some of the corrugated board color showing. Set aside to dry.

Step 5. Using a light touch, rub Grecian Gold Rub'n Buff onto the raised areas of your leaf. 

Now your Grungy Corrugated Leaf is ready to use on your page. You can curl the edges or leave flat. 

Variation:
Instead of inking with black, I used Jasmine Mix'd Media Inx for the leaves I created for "The Kiss", then rubbed Pewter Inx onto the raised edges. You could use any combination of colors to create lovely, grungy leaves for your projects. 

Thanks for dropping by today to view my layout and tutorial. I have some fabulous news to share. I'll be continuing on as one of Donna's designers after my Guest Design Team Spot, so I'll be back to share more work with Donna's amazing products each month. 

Product List:

Paper:
GCD Studios: Donna Salazar Designs ~ Natural Beauty - Flying Free
GCD Studios: Donna Salazar Designs ~ Natural Beauty - Casual Elegance
Want2Scrap: Donna Salazar Designs - 8" x 10" Corrugated Board

Chipboard:
GCD Studios: Donna Salazar Designs ~ Natural Beauty - Chipboard Alphas

Stamps:
Art Gone Wild: Donna Salazar Designs ~ Ruler

Color/Inks:
Clearsnap: Donna Salazar Designs - Mix'd Media Inx - Pewter, Black
Clearsnap: Donna Salazar Designs - Mix'd Media Inx CHOX - Midnight, Sparrow
Clearsnap: Donna Salazar Designs - Smooch Spritz - Wood Stain, Pralines & Cream
American Art Clay Co: Rub'n Buff - Grecian Gold 
Viva Decor: Inka Gold - Gold
DecoArt: Crafter's Acrylic - black, Christmas Red

Stencils:
Want2Scrap: Donna Salazar Designs - 8" x 10" - Small Bricks, Small Arrows
Want2Scrap: Donna Salazar Designs - Alphabet Stencil

Dies:
Spellbinders: Donna Salazar Designs - Sprightly Sprockets
Spellbinders: Donna Salazar Designs - Bitty Blossoms

Embellishments:
Vintage gears and machined pieces from Mandy Hennis
Tori Spelling: Styled - Multi Style Chain Hematite
Darice: Add on Pendant Knotted Nylon Necklace
Jill Mackay: Sterling Plated Earrings
DMC: Floss #310
Black Tulle

Mixed Media:
Liquitex: Ceramic Stucco
Liquitex: Gesso - black

Adhesives:
Art Glitter: Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
Helmar: 450 Quick Dry Adhesive
Mod Podge - Matte

Tools:
Zutter: Donna Salazar Designs - Distrezz-It-All
Darice: Heat Tool
EK Success: Cutter Bee - Bugs

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm also excited to share that Ashley from All That Stickles asked me to be her Featured Guest Blogger today. It's such a fun site that features Stickles and all the amazing things you can do with them.

Ashley has posted my "Stickled Butterfly Tutorial" today. I hope you'll stop by her site to check it out.


Follow on Bloglovin

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

19 comments:

  1. Tracey, I just LOOOOVE these tutorial posts...those leaves are stunning - the 1st thing [apart from 'those' men!!!] I noticed on your LO:):) And once I'd read how you did the brickwork...wowsies! sooo much work goes into your pages, they are such works of art...TFS:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this layout is superb! I love the grunge yet beauty of it, and the title is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holyyyyyyyy smokes!! This is amazing!!! I love love love the brick wall, the gears and those leaves are gorgeous!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layout Tracey. I love the gears and those manly flowers are so perfect. I think I need that die...do we ever get to a point where we don't need something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! Who would think a masculine layout could be so gorgeous!!! Love this! Love every little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is awesome...LOVE the grungy to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow! This lay-out couldn't have been any more amazing than this. It's such a stunning page! I love all the gears and metal pieces, which give it a really masculine look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracey! It has been so long since I have stopped by your blog. I have missed it and your wonderful inspiration. This layout is so fabulous for so many reasons!!! I love your title, that photo, and your wonderful, wonderful grungy details. And big congrats on guest designing for Donna Salazar, too! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness gracious Tracey this is just spectacular!! So much to look at & learn - thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've outdone yourself once again, Tracey. I love the grunge steampunk look, so I really appreciate every aspect of this page. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Tracey, I am a writer and I run out of adjectives to describe your projects!! This is just stunning!! I love the grungy, beautiful design!! Simply fabulous!! Have a great evening :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great Tracey! Love the texture paste designs, distressing, leaves, photo and title. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantastic grungy LO and love love love the tut!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous layout Tracey! Congrats on your guest DT spot! So well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my. This is such a visually stunning layout Tracey! I just love how you created the texture in those leaves. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, your male page, is totally awesome love all the metal look elements, fabulous work :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGosh.......Tracey this is an amazing layout, a real work of art. Love all the detail and texture:) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tracey, what an aweseome layout!!!! So manly and grungy! Thanks for sharing all your tips and techniques. Who would have thought to melt tulle onto chipboard letters??? Genius!! I can't believe how realistic your sprockets look too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing page! LOVE the title, and your play on circles adds such fantastic movement! I know I say it all the time, but the texture is phenomenal! You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.