Thursday, July 4, 2013

Shimmer Tile Tutorial

Summer is at hand with lovely long days. Our broken air conditioner is now fixed and I'm nice and cool again. I hope you're able to stay cool in the heat of July. 

The Scrabble tiles in the ScrapThat! Main Kit are so cool, but since I wasn't able to spell something with the ones I received, I thought I'd try my hand at transforming them into shimmery tiles. Here's what I came up with.

Shimmer Tile Tutorial

Supplies:

Supply List:
  • Scrabble Tiles (ScrapThat! July Main Kit)
  • White Gesso
  • Prima Hello Pastel Clear Stamp (ScrapThat! July Main Kit)
  • Whispers Clear Glitter Embossing Powder (Holographic)
  • Perfect Medium or other clear embossing pad
  • Donna Salazar Mix'd Media CHOX Inx ~ Sage
  • Donna Salazar Mix'd Media Inx ~ Wisteria
  • Heat Tool (Not Pictured)
  • Paint Brush (Not Pictured)
Step 1. Place a small amount of gesso on a craft mat or paint palette. Add some water to thin down the gesso to create a wash. The amount of water will depend on how thick your gesso is. I used about 1 part water to 2 parts gesso. Brush the wash across the back and sides of the Scrabble tiles using a soft brush. Set aside to dry. I wanted just a touch of the wood grain to show through and used two coats of the gesso wash.


Step 2. Once the gesso has dried, stamp the tiles using the Prima Hello Pastel stamp included in the ScrapThat! July Kit. Ink the edges lightly. I used Donna Salazar's Mix'd Media Inx in sage and wisteria, but you can use any colors that coordinate with your page.


Step 3. Once the ink has dried. Press Perfect Medium or any clear embossing pad onto the painted and stamped side of the tile.


Step 4. Sprinkle with clear glitter (holographic) embossing powder and heat set. For even more sparkle you can repeat this step. (I used two coats of embossing powder.)

*****Tip: If you prefer a glossy finish that is not glittery, use clear embossing powder or UTEE.


Here are the finished tiles:

Thanks for dropping by to check out my tutorial! 

The July Kit is available in the ScrapThat! Store

Follow on Bloglovin

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

5 comments:

  1. What a stunning way to give unusable scrabble tiles a new life. Great tutorial Tracey. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is FABULOUS!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiles are lovely but got to say flower is fab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey, I love the tiles!! Great way to recycle Scrabble tiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this is amazing!! I also love that flower in the first picture wow!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.