Monday, March 7, 2022

Grungy Steampunk Bee Slimline Card for Amazing Paper Grace

Welcome to my creative space!

I just adore the industrial steampunk style and had so much fun creating this slimline card featuring the fabulous Amazing Paper Grace Fluted Classics Slimline die set (S6-186 Fluted). The medallions from this month's gorgeous Die of the Month, Bella Ovalette (DOMAPG-Mar22) fit perfectly across this card to layer under my steampunk elements.

What's better than combining grungy rust and patina with an intricate steampunk bee? This Zuri Designs bee is colored with metallic paints and waxes while the faucet knobs came with the rusted finish. The beautiful medallions are cut from both patterned paper and thin black chipboard and offset when adhered for a shadow effect. As you scroll down through the Tips and Techniques section, you will discover the details on how I put this card together. 

Thank you Amazing Paper Grace for providing the dies used on this card!

Tips and Techniques
You can see in this close-up how I layered the medallion pieces. At first I cut the black chipboard to add thickness to pop up these gorgeous pieces to give them more dimension, but realized how beautiful the shadow effect would be once I die cut the shapes. What do you think? Amazing Paper Grace Dies are so delicate and elegant, but some of them really do work quite perfectly in a steampunk design. 

This beautiful intricate insect is molded from the bee in the wonderful Zuri Designs Wings of Beauty silicone mold. It is brushed with a base of black gesso, then the wings and body are lightly dry brushed with ginger acrylic paint then some red and firebird waxes. this will give a rusty effect under the highlights I'll be adding with metallic waxes. Be sure to allow some of the black to show through.

Gold metallic paint is applied to the raised design on the abdomen, thorax, and eyes. I used a small tip paintbrush for eyes, and my finger to apply the paint to the body, but you could also use a sponge makeup wedge. I know the wings are opaque, but to give a bit of an iridescent effect, I used a mix of patina green and peacock waxes to highlight the design on the wings. The legs, face, and antennae are rubbed with firebird and red amber waxes.

You can see how fabulous the fluted design is around the edges of the card. I also added a piece of the patina blue paper behind the die cut base to frame the card and help accent the beautiful medallions. These grungy faucets came already painted, so all I needed to do was glue them down. The center was raised because the edges are sitting on the medallion design, so I addd a piece of chipboard to the center to give enough depth to adhere there as well as around the edges. I like to make sure my heavier metal pieces are good and secure. 

I just adore how perfectly these medallions fit across this fluted slimline card! The fabulous sentiment and grungy ruler were actually on the back of the bottom strips of the paper I used. I just couldn't resist incorporating them on my card. The focal paper already had a rusty patina design, so I didn't need to do much to it. I just added a bit of black ink spatter to increase the grunge level. 

I hope you've enjoyed this card and are inspired to try out a different style using Becca's Amazing Paper Grace die designs.

Amazing Paper Grace Die Sets:

Paper:
  • Kaisercraft ~ Scrap Yard Collection
  • Cardstock ~ Black
  • Thin Chipboard ~ Black

Ink:
  • Ranger ~ Bundled Sage

Mixed Media:
  • Zuri Designs ~ Wings of Beauty Silicone Mold
  • Amazing Casting Resin ~ White
  • Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Sparks Acrylic Paint: Ginger Magic
  • Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Metallique Acrylic Paint: Gold Rush
  • Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Metallique Wax: Firebird; Peacock
  • Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Antique Brilliance Wax: Red Amber
  • Finnabair with Prima Marketing ~ Matte Wax: Patina Green
  • Liquitex ~ Gesso, Black

Embellishments: 
  • Pink Fresh Studio: Metallic Pearls: Matte Gold
  • Faucet Knobs (purchased at a local craft store)

Adhesives:
  • Beacon ~ 3-IN-1 Advanced Craft Glue
  • Beacon ~ Fabri-Tac
  • Double Sided Tape ~ 1/4" 
  • Tombo ~ Mono MULTI Liquid Glue

Tools:
  • Spellbinders ~ Platinum 6

I am an affiliate with Zuri Designs and receive a small commission at no
cost to you if you purchase from them using a link from this post. 

You can find their online store HERE
and the Wings of Beauty mold can be found HERE.

Thanks so much for your support!





Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.