Saturday, August 25, 2012
I had a lovely outing with my husband this afternoon. Last winter he bought a convertible that he calls his "mid-life crisis" car. :-) It was a wonderful day for a drive. I even got to do a little shopping at the new Michaels that just opened up. How nice to have one a mere 30 minutes away. I hope you are having a lovely weekend as well.
Back in June we had a birthday for my sister, celebrating 50 years. This shot of her with our nieces is so sweet. My sister is such a blessing to me. She is such a strong woman whom I admire so much.
I used the Donna Salazar August challenge sketch by the talented Mistra with lots of Donna's amazing products. These Donna Salazar papers were so perfect to pick up the colors in the photo.
Mistra's gorgeous sketch:
I included a butterfly on this layout to participate in the "Wings" Challenge over at Berry71Bleu. Such a lovely site!! This is my first time entering one of their challenges.
Handcrafted Flowers ~ For the larger focal flower, I used the DSD Grand Peony Die and for the medium roses, small roses, and leaves I used her Rose Creation Dies. I used one of Donna's favorite adhesives, Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Glue on each of the petals and while wet dipped the flowers into diamond dust for lots of sparkle.
Crystal Flourishes ~ all of the flourishes on my page were cut from a single Zva flourish. One flourish can go a long way if you are willing to cut it apart. I still have the butterfly portion with a trail left for yet another project.
Painted, Misted paper ~ I dry brushed nearly everything on this page with some antique white acrylic paint. The circle behind my flower cluster had a lovely light grey flower design on it. I proceded to write my journaling there. To make a long story short, it didn't work. I painted over the journaling and it took about 8 or 10 layers before it stopped showing through. I then inked over the paint, and that wasn't working for me either. So not one to give up, I started misting. The paint acts kind of like a resist, so the mist settled into the paint brush marks. I just kept spritzing different colors until I got a color combo that worked. I had a pitiful sopping piece of paper on my hands. I kind of liked the look, but was sure the paper was ruined by this point. I let it dry over night, and it was dry by morning, but oh so wrinkly. I spritzed it lightly on the back put it between some paper towels with several heavy books on top. The result was a perfectly flat circle with color and texture that was perfect for my page. Yay!! I just adore happy accidents.
Corrugated Board Liner Butterfly ~ I mentioned in a previous post that when I use Donna's corrugated board to die cut my corrugated butterflies, it comes off in one neat piece. Oh yes, I've been saving these gems, and here is one all dressed up. I inked the rough side of the paper with several shades of distress ink, until I achieved a color that coordinated with my page, then coated it with a thick layer of Ranger Clear Rock Candy Distress Paint and set it aside to dry. To add a bit more dimension, I rubbed more ink into the fabulous cracks that appeared when the paint dried. I curled it over a paint brush and added some extra flourish gems to the body along with flower stamen antennae. My good friend, Juliana Michaels, tried out my corrugated butterflies and added the crackle paint. Her creative approach gave me the idea to try the crackle out here.
Stamping ~ I wanted just a little more visual texture and weight next to my butterfly, so used Donna's Lace Corner Stamp here.
Distrezzing ~ I distressed all the straight edges with my Distrezz-It-All. It's even is even a breeze to Distrezz corrugated board in seconds.
Hand Stitching ~ I penciled in swirled lines, then punched holes for my hand stitching. This time with 2 strands of DMC floss for the swirled lines and 4 strands for the straight lines.
Ripped Edge ~ I've seen and admired these ripped edges tucked with embellies for years, but had never tried it myself until now. I tucked one of my handcrafted roses into the opening. The back of the paper clashed with my layout, so I dry brushed it with some antique white paint.
Stickle Accents ~ It's hard to see in the photos but the two vertical mats have sweet flourishes that I painted with Crystal Stickles for a lovely shimmer that's oh so girlie in person.
Rhinestone Accents ~ I had a couple little segments of my flourish left over and pulled the tiny rhinestones off to add them to the center of my lace scallops on the left. I used larger rhinestones from my stash to embellish the other lace piece.
Donna Salazar Products:
Spring in Bloom:
Pretty in Purple
Lace Corner Stamp
DSD Compatible Products:
Want 2 Scrap Say It With Bling
Zva Creative Crystal Flourish Fancy Butterfly - Lavender and Grape
Paper Doilies - Stash
Crochet Doily - Stash
Lace - two pieces - Stash
Creative Charms - Vintage Brads
Prima Alphabet Stickers - Craftsman #559113
DMC Floss #316 and #931
Floral Stamens - Stash
Making Memories Acrylic Paint - manila
DecoArt Crafter's Acrylic - Antique White; Light Antique White
Ranger Distress Crackle Paint - Clear Rock Candy
Ranger Stickles - Crystal
Distress Ink - Vintage Photo; Stormy Sky; Dusty Concord
Twinklets Diamond Dust
Rhinestones - Stash
Ranger Inkssentials Glossy Accents
Darice Foam Strips
Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Glue
Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers - Mini Butterflies and Base Tray
Martha Stewart Doily Lace Punch
Martha Stewart Circle Cutter - large
Fiskars Craft Knife and Self-healing Mat
Prima Distress Tool
Bazzil In Stitch'z Mat and Piercing Tool
Punch Bunch Tool Set
Tim Holtz Craft Mat
I have also entered this at Word Art Wednesday Challenge #42 Joy or an encouraging sentiment.
Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.
~ Blessings ~