Friday, December 13, 2013

"Peace on Earth" Chipboard Christmas Ornament Tag for Leaky Shed Studio

Christmas is a special time of the year when we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. One way that we celebrate is to give gifts to the special loved ones in our lives. Today I'm sharing with you a tag that has it's own special gift attached - a lovely ornament created with Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard.

"Peace on Earth Tag"

Tips and Techniques
I wanted to created an ornament with a homespun feel, so pulled out some of my grungy techniques to decorated this delightful piece from Leaky Shed. As you can see there are three distinctive parts to this intricate chipboard piece and I used a different approach to each.

I started with the snowflake, using a paint brush to cover it with Jasmine Mix'd Media Inx. This ink stays wet for a long time and MMI is my go to ink when embossing. While wet, I covered with Fran-tage Shabby White embossing enamel and heat set. I love the mix of colors and lumpy, grungy texture that this enamel provides.

Next, I painted the scroll work with a deep red metallic paint. When dry I covered it with Ranger Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint. When dry, I rubbed on brown ink to bring out the crackled texture. The outer rim is painted in gold metallic paint, then rubbed lightly with brown ink.

I had fun combining some Donna Salazar and Tim Holtz products to create the background for my gift tag. I started out with a plain manilla tag. First, I created a color wash on the background by spreading patches of Fired Brick, Forest Moss, and Vintage Photo Distress Inks on a craft sheet. I spritzed lightly with water then pulled the tag through the color and heat set. I wanted some splats and drips of green so again rubbed my Forest Moss ink pad onto the craft mat, spritzed with water, then used my fingers to flick and tap more of the green onto my tag and heat set.

Once completely dry, I stamped the sentiment using Leather MMI and MMI embossing powder, then heat set. It's important for the background to be dry or the embossing powder will stick everywhere instead of just to the stamped sentiment.

My sweet friend, Juliana Michaels (17 Turtles), gave me this Tim Holtz Burlap Stencil. I just laid it over the tag and used a foam blending tool to apply Vintage Photo ink.

I lightly distressed the edges, then rubbed Leather Mix'd Media Inx to darken the edges, then while still wet dipped the edges into Truffle Mix'd Media Inx Embossing Powder. I then used my finger to rub off some of the embossing powder as I wanted a grungy effect rather than a solid covering of embossing powder, then heat set.

Finally, I wanted just a simple, single bow to attach the ornament to the tag so it can be easily untied to release the ornament. Wendy from Leaky Shed used this great jute twine to help package the chipboard she sent to me, and I realized it would be perfect for the homespun look I was going for.

The chipboard ornament is a new release from Leaky Shed Studio. Stop by the store and check out their new ornaments and snowflakes. Just type ornament or snowflake into the search box.

Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard

Other Products
Ranger ~ Inkssentials - #8 Manilla Craft Tags
 Donna Salazar by Clearsnap ~ Mix'd Media Inx -Jasmine, Leather
Donna Salazar by Clearsnap ~ Mix'd Media Inx Embossing Powder - Leather, Truffle
Ranger ~ Distress Ink - Forest Moss, Fired Brick, Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs
Ranger ~ Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint
DecoArt Dazzling Metallics ~ Champagne Gold
Lumiere ~ Bright Gold, Metallic Russet
Stampers Anonymous - Burlap Layering Stencil
CTMH Everlasting LIfe Holidays Stamp Set
Darice ~ Heat Tool
Ranger ~ Craft Sheet
Tonic ~ Paper Distresser

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of the details on this gorgeous tag!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loveeeeeeeee this so much!! I loveeeeeee that snowflake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooooooooooooo beautiful Tracey, divine work and how I wish we were coming into winter instead of summer , give me winter anytime x

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning tag cool thecnique's.
    byebye,Lean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tag... love the earthy colors..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tag is so beautiful, Tracey. I love everything about it! I also want to wish you and your wonderful family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

  7. OH this is amazing, you have created a wonderful Tag
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yea Having also a happy and amazing blessend Christmas !!!!!
    Hugs carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful ornament Tracey! I love the texture and grungy vintage look along with the tag! I so enjoy you always share how you do the techniques, thanks for taking the time to do that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely snowflake tag, Tracey! I love the vintage looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous Tracey!! Love the textures and the vintage look!! The ornament would look wonderful on Christmas Tree!!! Stunning!!! Blessings to you and your family this Christmas!! May your home be filled with joy!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous tag Tracey. You used so many different techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of fabulous techniques on a small project..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous and well made tag! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous tag and absolutely love the vintage feel to it! Just beautiful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.