Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Handcrafted Crochet Snowflake Ornaments For Helmar

The Holiday season us upon us, and I'd like to share a new family Christmas tradition begun last year. Now that all our children are out on their own, I thought it would be nice to create a special ornament for each of them to help decorate their trees. A friend taught me how to read a pattern to create a lovely crocheted snowflake and a tradition was born. I plan to find a new snowflake to handcraft each year. Of course they must be blocked and stiffened. Helmar Fabric Stiffener and Draping Fluid is the perfect product for that job. If you don't crochet, you can still create a similar ornament by using the Helmar Fabric Stiffener on a small crochet doily.

Handcrafted Snowflake Ornaments

Tips and Techniques
 As you can see with the snowflake right next to the Fabric Stiffener, before stiffening, they are quite soft and crumpled.

The first thing I did was to block the ornaments. I have lots of padding on my ironing board, so I laid a dish cloth over the padded board, then a layer of wax paper to keep the stiffener off of the ironing board. Any kind of foam or padded board would also work. Pin the ornament into shape.

The stiffener is thick, so I thinned it with 50% water and 50% Helmar Fabric Stiffener. I used a stiff paint brush to apply it to the snowflakes. Be sure to completely saturate. 

Allow to completely dry. I left mine overnight. 

 Here's a close-up shot. 

Helmar Products

Other Products
Crochet Pattern by Better Homes and Garden can be found here.
** (Please note H 3 in the pattern means chain 3) **
Size 10 Crochet Cotton Thread
Size 7 Steel Crochet Hook

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and what a fun new tradition, one your family will treasure forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's IT??? Soooo simple, soooo effective! Def gonna be giving this one a go - TFS:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh Tracey...what a wonderful idea! I so wish I could crochet, I'd love to try this on a doily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are amazing! Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they are gorgeous, Tracey!! You did a fabulous job with them!! They will look so beautiful on the trees!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you are making us look bad LOL this is so beautiful
    TFS ...............Lis

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever at so many things.. what a wonderful tradition you have there.. and these snowflakes are stunning.. a really special gift for Christmas.. love them..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow wow wowwwwwwwwwww! These are gorgeous!!!!! I love them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb little snowflakes, Tracey! They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making ornaments for your adult kids is a GREAT idea. I remember when my husband and I were first married, our tree was pretty sparsely decorated for the first few years, and we were always excited to add new ornaments to our collection. They are truly treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so gorgeous! I feel blessed to have one! Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, Tracey. Jesse

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.