Wednesday, January 1, 2014

On Target Mixed Media Layout for Once Upon A..Sketch Featuring Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard

Happy New Year!!
May 2014 bring you and yours many sweet blessings.

It's reveal day at Once Upon A..Sketch.

There are a couple changes for our 2014 Challenges. First, we will be having two reveals each month with half of our amazing DT revealing their inspiration on the 1st with the rest revealed on the 15th. Second, you will have until the end of each month to enter your projects!! 

Our son issued a challenge to me a while back when he asked if it was possible to create a page without any flowers. So, I took a decidedly masculine approach for this layout and gasp - no flowers.

Now, here's my take on the January OUAS challenge.

"On Target"


Journaling Theme ~ "Lesson Learnt' . . ."

You are free to interpret our theme any way you like, but please make sure your layout is based on the sketch below and includes some journaling (hidden journaling is fine ~ please tell us where it is located).


I flipped the sketch for my layout.

Tips and Techniques
I used gorgeous Kaisercraft Basecoat paper and Leaky Shed Studio Chipboard Gears. I painted the gears black and used my heat tool while wet to bubble and distress. I rubbed Grecian Gold Rub'n Buff then copper metallic pant over the bubbled raised areas to took like rusty metal. 

This paper has such a gorgeous distressed look, but I added a bit more by splattering black paint across the page. To embellish, I chopped up May Arts Black Webbing, vinyl screening, punchinella, and chicken wire. The title is handwritten, and I've doodled arrows around my journaling. 

I have to thank my friend, Mandy who gave me the punchinella, vinyl screening (below the photo), and chicken wire (next to the photo).

One of my Christmas presents was a fabulous fountain pen (thanks, mom!!). I used it for my handwritten journaling which reads: Inspiration comes from many places. For your high school science fair projects it came from archery. How fun to learn lessons from a sport you still continue to enjoy. 

The photo mat is stenciled with more of the copper metallic paint as well as roughly painting the photo edges. I've also used this paint on the punchinella to edge the top and bottom of my layout. A bit of black paint was rubbed lightly onto the painted punchinella. 

Products
Kaisercraft ~ Base Coat - Concrete
Authentique ~ Foundations PFF004
Leaky Shed Studio ~ Gear Set
Punchinella
Chicken Wire
Vinyl Screening
May Arts ~ Webbing, Black (Really Reasonable Ribbon)
Thread Scraps
Monteverde Fountain Pen
FolkArt Metallic - Sequin Black
Lumiere ~ Metallic Bronze
Rub'n Buff ~ Grecian Gold
Stampers Anonymous ~ Burlap Stencil
Helmar ~ 450 Quick Dry Adhesive
Helmar ~ Zapdots - 1/2" Round, black 
Darice ~ Heat Tool

I look forward to seeing your projects inspired by the January OUAS Challenge!! 


Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

32 comments:

  1. Ohhh the details....Ohhh the love you put in all your work. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout! Love the tone in tone look on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING the colors and the gears!! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! Wonderful page and without a single flower! completely male page. Loved it as painted the gears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great guy page! That's my challenge to myself this year-scrap more of the men in my life-thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracey!! I can't wait to see your guy pages! ~ Blessings

      Delete
  6. Cool, Tracey. Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a gorgeous page love the grungey feel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous layout!! You did an amazing job! I find it hard to do a no flower layout too..but you rocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really a stunning page, dear Tracey! I love it, when you make that grungy pages. Thank you also for your tip - looking real rusty.
    Now I wish you a wonderful and happy New Year!
    Hugs
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha!!! You won THAT bet...nadda a flower in sight....bit of a SHOCK, I must say, but I am suitably imprressed!!! Go you:):) And it looks fabulous...really love the grungy look you've got going here...the fountain pen would be fabulous...I've got one.....somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lizzy!! Time to find that pen for your OUAS journaling!! :-) ~ Blessings

      Delete
  11. This is texture heaven! I'm going to have to check into the screen and punchinella. They look amazing mixed in. The bubble paint technique really gives a great effect. Awesome layout Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool background. Happy New Year Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No flowers? Seriously, no flowers? Good on you for taking up the challenge, your work is beautiful. I got here via CJS14; it's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great layout. LOVE the texture on the cogs and use of the copper metallic paint. Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful sketch and your layout is absolutely amazing, gorgeous, and so full of your creativity! I love how you turned it on it's side and created this wonderful work of art! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us! And I also want to wish you and your family a blessed and very happy new year!!!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is stunning, really amazing textures and techniques you have used on this.. and wonderful take on the lessons learnt theme too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful!! I love all of the texture!! It looks amazing!! Happy, happy new year!! I hope 2014 brings you all you wish for!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this page ... gorgeously masculine!! Well done on the no flowers challenge and a beautiful take on the sketch!!! Happy New Year Tracey and many Blessings to you and your family!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic page! It's so full of fabulous goodness that I don't even miss your beautiful flowers! A Very Happy New Year to you too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow is that fabulous, love the rich colors and textures. The screening and chicken wire give a great masculine look :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year Tracey....your work is gorgeous, this layout is fabulous, love the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow. Love the rugged distressed elements!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.