Welcome to my creative space!
I just adore creating in the industrial steampunk style, and as soon as I laid eyes on the fabulous Amazing Paper Grace With Love Regalia Card Builder (S5-492) die set, I thought it looked like old wrought iron fencing that would be perfect to create a card in this style. As I looked through my stash of embellishments, I found this dapper gentleman from the Tim Holtz Paper Dolls set to perch perfectly atop the fence. Yes, this is another "who knew" Amazing Paper Grace could be fabulous for a masculine creation!
Since this die has a V shape at the top, I cut a square of black cardstock using the smallest dies in the Fluted Classics Squares set to provide a backdrop for my gentleman and industrial elements. This square fits the opening perfectly and those fluted edges add wonderful texture here.
The fence has been given a coppery patina finish in places using the new Tim Holtz Foundry Waxes along with classic Finnabair art waxes. These mediums are also used to add a grungy finish to the metal elements.
Be sure to scroll down through the "Tips and Techniques" section below for close-ups and all the details on how to create this industrial steampunk card.
Thank you Amazing Paper Grace for providing the dies used in this project.
Tips and Techniques
Here you can see just how gorgeous this die cut is as a wrought iron fence. It's cut from 120lb black cardstock. I randomly applied Mined Foundry Wax across the piece where you might see corrosion naturally appearing on an old weathered iron fence, then heat set the wax to bring out it's shiny luster. Green Patina Matte Wax is rubbed on around the copper for a grungy patina finish. I wanted a little something on the bottom of the card to help balance the detailed top, so found this ornate handle in my stash that's the perfect size to use here.
The small square from the Fluted Classics Squares set fits into the "fence" opening perfectly and helps the man and embellishments stand out. I felt that he would have gotten a little "lost" against the colorful patterned paper.
This vintage gentleman is sitting atop the fence on a whimsical arrow. I applied and heated Mined and Statue Foundry Wax across many of these industrial elements to age them. I also applied Matte Patina Green, Bronze Age, and Rich Copper waxes around those areas to accentuate the aged patina look I wanted to achieve. Nearly all of these embellishments are from the Tim Holtz Idea-ology collection.
***Tip*** The engraved numbers on the 543 piece were colored with the waxes and no longer very visible. My solution to fix that problem was to rub black acrylic paint into the numbers, then gently use a soft cloth to remove most of the paint from the patina surface. Not all of the black paint came off, but that just adds to the grungy look and the numerals now pop!
One final look so you can see how all the grungy, aged elements come together so beautifully to create a wonderful masculine card. Don't you agree that this die is perfect to create a weathered wrought iron fence?
Amazing Paper Grace Dies:
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Paper Stash: Abandoned
- Cardstock ~ Black 120lb; White 120lb
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Distress Ink: Chipped Sapphire
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Distress Ink: Saltwater Taffy
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Foundry Wax: Mined
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Foundry Wax: Statue
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Distress Frosted Crystal
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Distress Embossing Dabber
- Tim Holtz with Ranger ~ Distress Paint: Black Soot
- Finnabair with Prima ~ Metallique Wax: Bronze Age; Rich Copper
- Finnabair with Prima ~ Matte Wax: Patina Green
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Paper Dolls
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Industrial Gears
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Adornments: Arrows
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Adornments: Foundry
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Pen Nibs
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Muse Tokens
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Mini Paper Clips
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Mini Gears
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Hardware Heads
- Tim Holtz with Idea-ology ~ Mini Flair
- Spare Parts ~ Mini Light Bulbs
- Spare Parts ~ Small Metal Handles
- Washers ~ From my stash
- Tombow ~ Mono MULTI Liquid Glue
- Helmar ~ 450 Quick Dry Adhesive
- Beacon ~ 3-IN-1 Advanced Craft Glue
- Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L ~ Thin 3D Foam Squares, Black
- Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L ~ Crafty Foam Tape, Black
- Helmar ~ ZapDots: 1/4" Black; 1/2" Black
- Double Sided Tape ~ 1/4"
- Spellbinders ~ Platinum 6
I'm entering this card in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Simon Says: Masculine.