Monday, April 20, 2020

Designer Spotlight Guest Designer for the April Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenges Week 3: Create A Scene

Welcome to my creative space!


I'm back with my third project as the Spotlight Designer for Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenges during the Month of April. I am so delighted and honored to be guest designing for them this month!


This week's theme is:

Create A Scene

Be sure to hop on over to the Simon Says Stamp blog HERE for all the details and to be inspired by the gorgeous design team projects.

I created a sweet vintage scene with Tim Holtz Paper Dolls and a background using his fabulous Sizzix dies and Brickwork 3D Embossing Folder. Be sure to scroll down through the Tips and Techniques section for close-ups and all the details.

Tips and Techniques
I misted watercolor paper with water and ran it through the Brickwork 3-D embossing folder to create this amazing brick background. Then a soft blending brush was used to apply Distress Oxide Inks the the paper. I started with the lightest color working my way to the darkest color to give the dimension of an old brick wall. Once all the inking was complete, I gave it a light misting of water to oxidize the inks.

A textured boarder is created on heavy weight black card stock with Distress Crackle Texture Paste. I adore how the black shows through once the cracks set in. I added color to the dried crackle using Distress Crayons.

I wanted a narrow border to coordinate with the sweet butterfly, so colored the edge of a white cardstock piece cut to fit with Distress Oxide Inks.

The fabulous Scribbly Butterfly and wonderful Holiday Mini Greens are die cut with Tim Holtz Sizzix dies and colored with Distress Oxide Inks. To color the butterfly, I used a soft ink blending brush. The greenery is cut from watercolor paper. To color I pressed the ink pads on my glass mat next to a spritz of water. I blended the inks with water to color the leaves with a paint brush.

This Tim Holtz Word Band and Story Stick are embellished with Hardware Heads and colored with Alcohol inks using a Ranger Alcohol Ink paint brush.

The background also includes a snippet cut with the Tim's Pattern Repeat Die and colored with Distress Inks. Since Distress inks remain reactive after drying I rubbed Distress Micro Glaze over the ink to make it permanent.

I've seen projects using Tim's Crochet 2 Die to cut a fence. I colored the lace with Distress Ink, then applied Hickory Smoke Distress Glaze to give it the look of an old iron fence. To age and give a more grungy feel to the fence, I rubbed on some Finnabair Metallique Waxes.

Here's a close-up of the butterfly embellished with the Story Stick. You can see how the borders all came together and that strip that coordinates perfectly with this butterfly.

The scene is created with these darling girls and their little dog from the Tim Holtz Paper Doll set. The mushrooms and moth are from the Field Notes Snippets Ephamera pack. The dresses and bows on the girls are colored with Distress Crayons.

A close-up of the pattern repeat die cut and the lovely moth from the Field Notes Snippets.

The Word Band sentiment fits perfectly over the fence.

A close-up to see the grungy effects on the fence and these cool mushrooms.


As you may know, the  Simon Says Stamp Store is accepting new orders, but have longer shipping times for the moment due to the coronavirus. With this in mind we have made the difficult decision to suspend the $50 voucher for this challenge.

We know that many people are staying safe at home and we would love it if you would continue to enter the challenges and have fun! We are all in this together! You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in. The challenge can be found HERE.


Supply List
Helmar ~ 450 Quick Dry Adhesive
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L ~ Crafty Power Tape

You can follow me on:

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.

~ Blessings ~

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning card Tracey! I love the backround layers, the crackle and the brickwork are fabulous and the paper dolls with the butterflies and other details are just gorgeous, beautifully done :-)

    Hope you have a great week!
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Tracey! Love how you have gathered all the embellishments and created this lovely scene! Take care, Maura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.