Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Spring Mixed Media Card for Helmar

Although it's still cold winter weather here in Ohio, I'm thinking spring with this card featuring handcrafted flowers. I'm delighted to be back guest designing with Helmar again this month. I feature Helmar Crystal Kote Matte Spray to seal my watercolor mediums. This is a scrap my stash project. I had fun giving new life to some older products.

Spring Watercolor Card

Tips and Techniques
I used watercolor pencils and water-soluble wax pastels to paint my handcrafted flowers and die cut frame. As you know, watercolor will bleed into any other wet medium. Since I planned to splatter my card with ink, I needed to seal the painted flowers and background. Helmar Crystal Kote Matte Spray is my go to sealant. I used several light coats, spraying from different directions, to cover all the layered surfaces. Because this spray is matte, it does not change the appearance of the painted surface.

As you can see, there is no glossiness from the spray, and the splatter did not pick up any of the color beneath it.

I bought this stamp and die set from Heartfelt Creations several years ago, and although I've used the flowers, the "Decorative Leafy Frame" set had yet to get used. I adore the way this card turned out and will have to keep these stamps and dies handy for future projects!!

I used Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive to put my flowers together and to adhere the frame and flowers to the background. 

The lace on the edge of the card is adhered using Helmar Fabric Glue. Because this lace is sheer in places and the glue would show through, I applied the adhesive just to the lace edge that is tucked under the frame/flower layer.

This triple loop bow is tied from dyed rayon seam binding. I adhered it to the card using Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. The bow tails are positioned and then adhered with small dabs of 450 Quick Dry Adhesive.

I used Helmar Zap Dots between some of the layers to add dimension and to give space for adding the Prima die cut doilies. The doilies and other layers are adhered with Helmar Premium Craft Glue.

One final shot.

Thanks for stopping by today!!
Remember to grab a can of Helmar Crystal Kote Matte Spray
to seal your watercolor based mediums.


Helmar Products

Other Products
K&Company ~ Brenda Walton - Celest Designer Paper
K&Company ~ Brenda Walton - Flora & Fauna Specialty Paper
Fancy Pants Designs ~ Road Show - 12x12” Paper Pad
Cardstock, white ~ Stash
Pearl Bead ~ Stash
Darice ~ Wire, 24 guage
Close to My Heart ~ Opaques, mocha
Lace ~ Stash
Hug Snug ~ Rayon Seam Binding, white (Really Reasonable Ribbon)
Ranger ~ Distress Ink, Brushed Corduroy
Ranger ~ Archival Ink, Jet Black
Caran D’Ache ~ NeocolorII Water-soluble Wax Pastels
Prismacolor ~ Watercolor Pencils
Faber-Castell ~ PITT Artist Pen Big Brush, black
Higgins ~ Drawing Ink, brown, white
Heartfelt Creations ~ Mini Vintage Floret PreCut Set HCPC 3502
Heartfelt Creations ~ Open Vintage Floret PreCut Set HCPC 3500
Heartfelt Creations ~ Vintage Floret Dies HCD 727
Heartfelt Creations ~ Decorative Leafy Frame HCD 731
Prima ~ Metal Die - Doily2 #572792
Ranger ~ Inkssentials - Water Brush, Fine Detail Nib
Zutter by Donna Salazar ~ Distrezz-it-All
Tim Holtz ~ Grid Blocks
Sizzix ~ Big Shot
Martha Stewart ~ Scoring Board

Thanks for stopping by! I Treasure your comments.
~ Blessings ~

5 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, the stamp is exquisite and love the colors too. Marvellous flowers too! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely...that glimmer is fantastic.....& I'm like Lizzy C - that purple is really, really delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this is wonderful! I love the use of the sealer spray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW WOW is that one gorgeous card Tracey~~ I love the dimension and glimmer, such a wonderful vintage look I really love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.