Monday, February 4, 2013

"Full Open Rose" Tutorial

I would like to share a tutorial with you today for the "Full Bloom Rose" I've been creating for a number of my projects recently. Handcrafted flowers are a great way to extend your stash and create flowers that perfectly coordinate with your papers and photos. You may have noticed that I create a some of my flowers using a combination of Bitty Blossoms and Grand Peony dies. If you don't have these dies, I've included some tips on other ways to cut petals that will work for these open roses. 

I've shared with you how I cut out the paper behind my edge papers and mats to create flowers and other embellishments. One of the great things about doing this is that your flowers will coordinate so well with your page. On my February ScrapThat! "Dream Come True" page you can see the black alphabet paper mat. I cut out the paper from the main background page out behind it. The back of this paper is a gorgeous pink dot paper used to create the pink "Full Open Rose" focal flower.


"Full Open Rose" Tutorial:


Supplies:

Supply List:
Die Cutting Machine (Not Pictured - I used the Big Shot)
Craft Mat (Optional)
Grand Peony Dies (Numbered from smallest to largest - I used #2 and #3)
Bitty Blossoms Dies (Largest die)
Paper Scrap
Foam mat
4 to 6 mm stylus
Distress Ink (Optional)
Distress Ink Applicator (Optional)
Round Nose Pliers (Optional)

Step 1) Cut 2 each of the Grand Peony die shapes #2 and #3. Cut 1 each of the largest Bitty Blossom dies.

***Note ~ if you have other 5 or 6 leaf dies like Rose Creations or a similar Cricut flower image, or even punches, those should work, too. The Grand Peony shapes I used cut to approximately 1 3/4 in. and 2 1/4 inches across and the Bitty Blossom rolled flower cuts to about 3 1/4 in. across.***


Step 2) If desired apply distress ink to color. I like to use at least two shades using the lighter color first and applying the darker color just to the edges. You can also use a different shade for the rolled flower to give a two tone effect. In the photo below the top right die cuts have both the lighter and darker colors while the rest have only been inked with the lighter.

***Note ~ very little of the bottom will show if you shape the blossoms as I do, so you can use paper with a contrasting color/design on the back. If desired you can ink the backs of the petals as well. ***


Step 3) Use a stylus to cup your blossoms by pressing down into the center of each petal. For the Bitty Blossoms I press down into the center of the "right" or "front" side (The side you want showing on top when the flower is complete.) of the two smallest petals on the outside edge, then flip over and press down into each petal of the "back" side of each petal. For the Grand Peony pieces, I press down into each petal with the "right" side facing up.

***Note ~ If I want to make a quick, less perfect flower, I simply press the stylus down into the petal. If I want to take longer and make a more realistic flower, I roll the stylus around on each petal to get more evenly cupped petals with less wrinkled paper.***


Step 4) I use a quilling tool to start rolling the Bitty Blossom flower, and when I get it about half rolled, I remove the tool and finish rolling by hand. If you don't have a quilling tool, you can certainly roll the entire flower by hand. It just seems to go quicker for me with the tool. Do be careful that you don't tear the petals as you roll. Use your fingers if necessary to shape the petal portion as you roll to avoid tearing. When you are done rolling let the tight roll open up some. Fold the inner flap under the flower and glue in place making sure the petals are off set as they go around.

***Note ~ depending on how much you allow the flower to unroll, you will get a smaller or larger flower. I tend to like mine to be a little looser and larger.*** 





Step 5) I used round nose pliers to shape each petal. For the larger Grand Peony petals I give each petal a twist. I place the pliers in the center of the petal as below, then hold the paper on either side of the petal while twisting the pliers to the right, leaving indentations in the petals.



Then, for both the Grand Peony and Bitty Blossoms petals, I turn down the sides of each petal. If you don't have round nose pliers, you can use your fingers and a toothpick, slim pencil, chopsticks, etc . . .

Then on some of the outer petals I turn the edge of the petal down a little with my pliers. Again you can use your fingers for this step. For me using the pliers goes faster.


Step 6) ~ Glue the Grand Peony petals together starting with the bottom layer to the top with the petals alternating from one layer to the next as in the photo below. 


Then add a dab of glue to the bottom of the rolled Bitty Blossoms flower and place in the center to complete your blossom. 




Step 7) Add-ons ~ at this point you can dab on the smooch that came in the kit like I did on the flower in my "Dream Come True" layout. Other things you can add are glitter, mist, gesso, diamond dust . . . The great thing about this flower is all the different looks you can achieve by changing up the color and what you dab on at the end.

Full Bloom Rose:

I hope you have fun creating some
of these little beauties!!

Thanks for stopping by! I treasure your comments.
~ Blessings ~

41 comments:

  1. Your roses are so beautiful!! I have none of the needed supplies, but I hope to someday :-)

    Happy Crafting
    Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wow, It seems like I have to buy myself some flower dies and start making flower. Perfect way to use up scraps laying around as well. It's truly stunning flowers you have created. You're amazing!
    Love n hugs
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! I've always admired your work! Love the step by step tut! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.....Gorgeous Tracey....love your step by step. You are very clever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I love all your little details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a pretty page!!!! and love the flower tut!!! they turned out amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to believe that those cut outs make those flowers! Awesome and so beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, stunning flower, Tracey!! It looks amazing!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!! Have a great evening :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowers ALWAYS amaze me!! And your lo... sigh... I love it!! Thanks for sharing how you made the flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Tracey for this tutorial. I love making my own flowers and this tutorial will be referenced quite a bit I think. Your work is amazing. God Bless. ox Marg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a gorgeous layout Tracey and I love the tutorial. That flower is fabulous.. I love the fullness of it! Your tutorials are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing flowers.....gorgeous layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooh...your blooms are beautiful. I love how they also coordinate so well with the papers you use.
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow! What a beautiful layout and great tutorial!!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This rose is so beautiful... thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yet another graceful layout love those roses

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's an incredibly beautiful flower, Tracey! Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tracey, this is awesome, thank you so much for sharing, I like the fuller, and looser looking blooms too, this is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous flowers. Want to try this. So inspiring. I have Rose Creations and Bitty Blossoms. Love the step by step. Thank you for sharing and the inspiration. Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful rose and a great tutorial...thanksss.
    byebye,Lean

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous tutorial...beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow this one is fantastic thanks for the tutorial!! I've never been able to make such a perfect flower and I've tried numerous times!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Gorgeous flower, Tracey!!!! TFS!!! fabulous tutorial!!! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The LO is gorgeous Tracey!The dpis beautiful and so are the flowers and I love the big leaf flourish, so very pretty ;) YOur flower tutorial is wonderful also!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful page Tracey!! And your flower is stunning! If you had not posted the tutorial, I would have thought that was a purchased flower! :) It is really gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are exquisite Tracey!! Beautiful layout too!! (Sigh!)xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing this brilliant tutorial, Tracey! I love your roses so much and love it even more that now I know how to make them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic! thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great tutorial this is Tracey. That rose is absolutely stunning! Beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful page, love all the shabbiness and your tutorial reminded me that I have yet to use this die that I also have in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG this is amazing!! thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. love the amazing tutorial... and beautiful page

    hugs carla

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an amazing tutorial & beautiful flower Tracey! Wonderful layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Trace, congratulations on the scrapbook.com tutorial. I left a comment for you on youtube :-) I love your creations, and style, all your handy tips, hints and how to's.
    Absolutely gorgeous layouts!! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely and very realistic looking roses! Thank you for such detailed instructions in your tutorial. I've been making all kinds of paper flowers for a while but they just don't hold a candle to your amazing creations! However, I'm gonna keep practicing! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Your work is always GORGEOUS! I have the same dies; so, I may give it a shot. Not that mine will even remotely look like yours but I might get close! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.