Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Big Catch - Natural Elements

This is a huge carp that Joseph caught a few years back.  You can tell how happy he is with this big catch.

This is the layout for my first Design Team Challenge over at Scrap-Friendzy.  I decided to create this challenge to use natural elements on a layout.

I hope you will come on over to Scrap-Friendzy and join the challenge!


I used 8 natural elements on this layout:
Burlap ~ two types
Cork
Wood 
Bark
Muslin
Cotton Lace
Jute
Deer Hide ~ thanks Brenda

Muslin banner "hung" with deer hide leather strip:
Muslin was cut into triangles, stamped with alphabet stamps, then sprayed with Smooch Spritz, the bottom layer was misted with a darker Smooch Spritz.

Burlap and cotton lace:
To give the burlap a more open weave, I removed every third "thread" ~ Don't try to remove every other thread like I did on my first attempt because all of your perpendicular threads will be on the same weave and your burlap piece will fall apart - LOL!

Wood pieces stained with Walnut Ink:

Tree bark and jute:
I found this in the floral department - real pieces of bark and moss applied to a paper backing on a roll.  I cut a rectangle of this for my journal block and wrapped one end with jute.

In creating this layout, I took inspiration from the fabulous Tara Orr and Trudy Sigurdson's book, Tantalizing Textures.

Papers ~ from a variety of manufacturers including Basic Grey and K&Co.
Distress Inks ~ Ranger
Chalk Ink ~ Tsukineko
Solvent Ink ~ Staz On
Stamps ~ Stampin' Up and misc. stamps from my stash
BossKut Gazelle ~ used to cut journal numbers/letters
Lace ~ by the yard at JoAnn's 
Tree Bark ~ floral department at JoAnn's
Jute, burlap, cork, jute, wood pieces ~ from my stash
Deer hide strip from my scrappy friend, Brenda - thanks!

Challenges I entered this layout in:
A Spoonful of Sugar Challenge 142 - Anything Vintage/Shabby
Craft Your Passion Challenge #48  - Anything Goes 
Crafty Cardmakers Challenge #42 - Fabric ~ Used Muslin, lace, and burlap (4/4)
House of Gilli Challenge #2 - Use Green - used in mat around photo
Kaboodle Doodles Challenge #57 Go Green - used in mat around photo
Karen's Doodles Challenge #53 - Go Green - used in mat around photo
OOh La La Creations Challenge #75 - It's a man thing - I used a masculine back to nature theme for this LO
Easy Craft Projects Challenge #33 - Green ~ used in mat around photo (4/1)
Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge #124 - Patchwork ~ I patchworked the cork background around the perimeter of my layout.
Scrapbook Sisters Challenge #1 ~ Framed - the photo is framed by a mat and by the multiple layers of matting and bracket frame as well. 

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my blog!

~ Blessings ~



14 comments:

  1. Wow what a absolutely fabulous scrap page I love all the natural embellishments you used so creative and that banner is brilliant

    Thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la this week
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your layout. That muslin banner is fabulous! And all those little elements that you put onto the page... fantastic!
    Thanks for joining us at Ooh La la this week with your beautiful creation; we hope to see you again soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool LO.. How fun. I wish I could catch a fish like that :)..Thanks for playing along with Karen's Doodles this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous page, the banner is brilliant and your use of embellises is great
    Thanks for joining us on Karen's Doodles
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous layout! Love the banner! Fabulous! Thank you for sharing it with us at Craft Your Passion, in our "anything goes" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous LO - love the vintage feel!
    Thanks for joining us at the SCSC!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab layout for a male you have made here. Thanks for taking part in Ooh La La Creations Challenge this fortnight and best of luck. We hope to see you back again very soon. Best wishes, Kym, Guest Designer for March/April for the Ooh La La Creations Challenge Blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. now this is lush !! I love the whole concept, well done on such a great project hun

    Thank for getting crafty with us at Crafty Cardmakers xx

    hugs
    Judie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved this when i saw it in person!! very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! I love all the different fabrics you have incorporated here, making it perfect for the challenge I set at Crafty Cardmakers. The image is bright and colourful and tones in beautifully with the natural elements of the LO.

    Thanks so much for joining in with our fabric challenge.

    Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, I love it and what a whopper of a fish! Thanks so much for joining in with the Crafty Cardmakers this week.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Tracey! This layout is brilliant! You really captured the theme perfectly and given it a masculine, rugged feel. Now I know what to do with that paper you used for the background! I have that same paper and have never used it because I didn't know exactly what to do with it. My son is a fisherman and my brother-in-law is a hunter so it would work for both of them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Anne
    anniebeescraftroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot of thought has gone into this beautiful layout. Thank you for entering our very first Scrapbook Challenge.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa! I thought this was a digital layout...I'm floored this is gorgeous...there's so much detail...FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a message! I treasure your comments.